* The Centre
* Power Boating
Trainees will be allocated
to, and under the direct supervision of, two instructors who will plan,
implement and assess appropriate activities in order for participants to
successfully complete the requirements.
Although not compulsory,
trainees will be encouraged to achieve the Australian Yachting Federation
Intermediate Certificate. A component of this course is the logging of
80 hours as a helmsman.
Participants will gain the
required number of logged hours as a helmsman by participating in sailing
activities at the Water Activity Centre on such days as General Days, Level
1 and Level 2 sailing courses or by individual sailing at the WAC.
The "Level 3- Sailing" qualification
is available to all sections, (except Joeys). Generally, Venturers, Rovers
and Leaders will have the physical and mental capabilities to gain this
These requirements are all
met by participating in the Level 3 Sailing Course.
* Have achieved Level 2 in sailing.
* Know your region's weather conditions and signs
of change and be able to use this knowledge
when engaged in boating activities. Show a
proficiency in interpreting weather maps.
* Be able to sail as skipper on all points of sailing
demonstrating tacking, gybing, man overboard
drill, sailing with damaged tiller, sailing on sails
* Knowledge of right of way for sailboats.
* Understand flag symbols for regattas.
* Demonstrate what to do in case of loss of power
whilst on the water such as broken mast, broken
or sails torn.
* Be able to instruct and examine in the tying and
use of Level 1 knots.
* Take a leading part in making minor repairs,
cleaning and/or painting.
* Demonstrate the correct loading of a craft with
crew and stores.
* Gain a minimum of 12 hours experience as
skipper in a variety of weather conditions.
* Organise and take part in an overnight journey in
a sailing boat.
* Demonstrate knowledge of buoys, beacons and
navigation signs used in your region and lights on
* Have knowledge of Expired Air Resuscitation
* Understand the recognition and treatment of
concussion and other head injuries.